Teachers/SENCO and Support Staff will work with children and young people to identify the support needed to meet agreed outcomes. The provision is planned and interventions are allocated to individual needs. The children take an active role with setting their targets, discussing them with the class teacher/SENCO. The children have regular meetings with support staff to discuss their progress and support.
- Pupils are at the heart of our school community.
- At Howden le Wear Primary School we believe it is really important that we consult with our pupils and consider their opinions, ideas and thoughts, to help us to evaluate what the children like about our school and what we can do to make it even better for them.
- We have a very active School Council who help make decisions about our school. Classes vote on their school council representative at the beginning of each academic year.
- Our Buddies and Sports Leaders are always on hand to help in the playground – they will always be looking out for you and if you need them they will be wearing either a green or red Buddy Hoodie!
Consultation with parents and carers of children and young people with SEND
We are committed to working with parents and carers to identify their child’s needs and support. Parents and carers will be involved throughout the process.
There is a range of ways this can be done, for example:
- Termly parents/ carers evenings;
- Termly SEN Support Plan reviews
- Annual Review of EHC Plans
- Ongoing discussions with a class teacher and/or SENCO;
- An ‘open-door’ policy, where parents and carers are welcome to come into school to discuss any concerns they may have.
If you would like to discuss your SEND requirements in detail please contact the school to arrange an appointment.