Art, craft and design embody some of the highest forms of human creativity.
- A high-quality Art & Design education should engage, inspire and challenge pupils, equipping them with the knowledge and skills to experiment, invent and create their own works of art, craft and design.
- As pupils progress, they should be able to think critically and develop a more rigorous understanding of art and design.
- They should also know how art and design both reflect and shape our history, and contribute to the culture, creativity and wealth of our nation.
Aims of the Howden le Wear Curriculum for Art & Design
The Curriculum for Art & Design aims to ensure that all pupils:
- produce creative work, exploring their ideas and recording their experiences;
- become proficient in drawing, painting, sculpture and other art, craft and design techniques;
- evaluate and analyse creative works using the language of art, craft and design;
- know about great artists, craft makers and designers, and understand the historical and cultural development of their art forms.
Learning Foci for Art & Deign
1. To develop ideas.
2. To master techniques: drawing; painting; sculpture; textiles; digital media; collage; print.
3. To take inspiration from ‘the greats’ (classic, modern and multi-cultural).